Wednesday, October 22, 2008

The Pirate Movie: First Love

First love...I have been thinking alot about my first love.

I was 13 when The Pirate Movie came to theatres. I saw Raiders Of The Lost Ark instead and caught The Pirate Movie on the movie channel. I watched it until I knew most of the dialouge and all of the song lyrics by heart. (Sadly, this is still true. I can sing the songs word for word and I talk along with the movie).

Christopher Atkins was my idea of a perfect first love. I waited and prayed for my first love.

He came along 3 years and a new province later. I spent many lonely months on my mothers front steps, waiting for fate to intervene and help my 1 st love find me.

He finally did, in the local mall. His name was Blaine and when I fell, I fell hard.

We were off and on for a year, until I decided to 'visit' my home province of Ontario. I promised Blaine that I would be back, that I could never leave him.

That was 1987. I have lived here ever since. I carved out a new life - or, rather, refurbished my old one - and moved on alone.

It has been many years since I have seen him. He is a grandfather now and has been with his wife for 18 years. I remember the day that he told me that he loved her. He said that she was the first person that he didn't compare to me, and that when he was with her, he only thought of her - not me. I was going to tell him that same day that I was leaving my husband and wanted to know if we could try again.

I never told him and he went on to marry a wonderful woman.

I still think of him. How can I not? So many of my memories are centered around him, around us. The time that we spent together were some of the happiest of my entire life.

Here's to you, Blaine, my first love.

3 comments:

Walker said...

Fate's either very smart or a bitch or a bastard, depending which gender you would like to kick between the legs in revenge.

I have so many what ifs in my life I'm suprised i don't stutter.

Maybe its a good thing for both you yopu.
If it hadn't worked you both would have wasted that time.

Work with me here, I'm trying to put as possitive twist on a sad story.
Been there done that and it sucks.

Biddie said...

Oh, it's ok. All's well that ends well. I just think of him now and again.
I am on my third marriage, and I know that he is the one for me.
BUT, I think of that day that I got on the train, and how it changed the course of my life forever.
There was one more big love after Blaine and before my hubby....
Sometimes, though, I do wonder, what if???
I stopped by your blog today, incognito. Forgot who I was. It happens sometimes. Just don't let me secret out, k?

Walker said...

Its ok I used to do it all the time HA HA HA
I left you a comment on the other blog to but your secret is safe I'll stick to this blog.