Saturday, October 25, 2008

Molly

My beautiful, incredible, amazing, stubborn daughter is 13 years old. She was diagnosed with type one diabetes when she was just three years old. It was one of the worst days of my life and I can only recall it in bits and pieces. The parts that I do remember, I remember vividly, in colour.
I was still with my ex then (Husband number two, not one of my great loves) and he was, as he still is, useless as hell. He offered very little support, and I felt as though I was on my own.
I still feel that way, mostly because I am. I am estranged from most of my family,and the ones that truly matter are in a different province, and in the case of my sister, a whole other country.
Molly has had her ups and downs with this horrific disease. Her blood sugar has never really ever been under control, no matter what we did.
Of course, now she is a teenager, and it has only gotten worse. She spent her entire Christmas holidays in the hospital last year, and had two other one week stays.....It has been a struggle.
Recently, she underwent a 24 hr urine test. The test will tell us if she has permanent kidney damage.
I am beside myself....She has no idea how her life will change if we get bad news next week. None at all.
I do, and that is what scares the shit outta me.

3 comments:

Walker said...

I'm so sorry to hear about this but I can tell by your attitude that the both of you will deal with what ever the results are.
Kids are tough and parents with sick kids are even tougher.

I have watched first hand that with a friend and her grandson.
The both of them are two superheros as I know the two of you will be aswell.

celticgirl said...

Thank God, everything is fine.
Molly is a tough little thing. She is tall and lanky with a sweet smile but she is waaay more tenacious then you would ever think.
You are making me blush with your comments :) I don't know about me, but Molly is a hero.

Lindi said...

Sorry to hear that Molly's father is such an A$$hole.
Molly is very lucky to have a mother who cares so deeply for her as you do.
You will both get through the difficult times with her Diabetes together. Glad to hear that the test results were ok.