Wednesday, October 15, 2008

I have been thinking a lot about mental illness and the way that we are treated...those of us that are mentally ill - in the media and in society in general.
I am bi polar. I am not going to blow up a house, rob a bank, steal your garbage cans or break into your house to have a shower. Oh yes, these are all portrayals of the mentally ill on tv.
I am a mother, and I do not work outside of the home.
Does this make me a bad mother? I am not sure.....I do have mood swings, I do stay in bed for hours - maybe even days at a time.
I do not, however, take illegal drugs and sleep with every man that I meet. In fact, I can count on three hands all of the men that I have ever been with. All of them. I even know all of their names, first and last. This is a far different reality from the one that we are faced with in the media.
I wish that people could see the real me.
Better yet, I wish that people cared that there IS a real me, and I am not a caricature of a an actress that is wailing away on the small screen about the plight of the crazies.

2 comments:

Walker said...

Hi, welcome to blogging.
Yes this is your soap box and if you don't tell anyone you know about it then they won't find you.
No one I know has found me and i have been at this for years and my parents haven't killed me yet.
I know and have many friends here and in the blogworld.

The problem is all mental illness' carry a stigma created in the past that still falsly believed in the present that people are crazy and dangerous.
It's like how they used to believed the world was flat.
It's true a small percentage of people can be dangerous but mostly people with mental illness are the ones suffering.

Thank you for stopping by and you;re welcome to stop by anytime.

celticgirl said...

Walker - Thank you :) I have been blogging for about 2 1/2 years, but this is my 'private' blog. It got to the point where all of my bloggy friends knew me too well and it was becoming more difficult to be myself...my family knows about my other blog, too, so it made it too hard to talk openly about certain things. I don't want my brother to know how crazy he makes me or that I just might be even more demented then he ever realized.
As far as my mental illness goes, I am not ashamed (anymore) but I do struggle with the way that others see me....
I will be back at your pace again, rest ashured. You crack my ass up!